Sie sind hier: Startseite Internationales English Outbound Studies


We hope the following information will help you plan a successful stay and studies abroad.


The Faculty of Arts and Humanities and its 11 Institutes have a number of European and non-European partnerships. There are various full and partial scholarships to help you fund your stay abroad.


The ERASMUS project for higher education, a part of the EU’s Lifelong Learning Programme (2007-2013), focuses on ensuring the mobility of students, faculty and other university personnel, as well as international company personnel. In addition, Erasmus promotes transnational cooperation among universities in Europe, as well as between universities and industry.
If you would like to apply for one of the many Erasmus slots, you will find an overview of prerequisites, funding periods and amounts, and the application process on the following pages.

DAAD scholarships

The DAAD funds excellent students and postgraduates. Studies may be worldwide; including now, also in Western Europe. For particularly popular universities in Western Europe, the DAAD will provide recommendations and, in some cases, placements. This includes courses of studies, e.g., at the University of Paris III Sorbonne-Nouvelle, at Trinity College in Dublin, in Florence, or in Oxford. For studies at a renowned host university, partial scholarships are available (the student’s contribution is currently EUR 512). Simultaneously, Auslands-BAföG can be applied for. The scholarship amounts will vary; take a look here.

You can find the amounts for DAAD scholarships here.

You are strongly advised to prepare for you application early. Make sure you get language certificates and references early. Applications must be submitted directly to the DAAD in Bonn. This is where you will find all the information required for your application.


The German-American Fulbright Program implements the visionary idea of Senator J. William Fulbright: Promoting mutual understanding between the USA and Germany through academic and cultural exchanges. The Fulbright Program has an international scope. It facilitates exchanges between the U.S. and over 180 countries worldwide. More than 50 permanent commissions, among them the German-American Commission, support the work of the Fulbright Program at the international level. Every year, over 4,500 Americans and other nationals participate in Fulbright exchanges. Since the program’s start in 1946, it has funded more than 250,000 scholarship recipients. As the largest and most diverse Fulbright Program worldwide, the German-American Fulbright Program has supported more than 40,000 Americans and Germans since its inception in 1952. A special feature of the German-American Fulbright Program is the exchange of students. This core program is complemented by one-year scholarships for professors, teachers and foreign language assistants, as well as by continuing education seminars for higher education administrators and area studies scholars.
The bi-national Fulbright Commission is comprised of five German and American members each appointed by the Honorary Chairs, the German Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the US Ambassador to Germany. The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, whose members are appointed by the US President, creates the guidelines for the Fulbright Program. The German-American Fulbright Program is administered by a Secretariat in Berlin. The American partner of the Fulbright Commission is the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs in the U.S. Department of State.

Further information on Fulbright scholarships can be found at the Fulbright website and on the pages of the International Office.


The PROMOS stipend programme offers financial support for short study and research stays abroad that are not eligible for funding through Erasmus. For further information, please click here.

Exchange programs


On the following pages, you will find all the information you need for your application to study or do an internship in Europe. Every year, large numbers of students leave or come to Germany under the Erasmus project. The Faculty of Arts and Humanities has numerous Erasmus agreements for exchanges within Europe. If you are interested in an internship, you can add that to your Erasmus exchange studies, and it will also be funded. But you can also simply apply only for an Erasmus internship.

Direct exchanges

The University of Bonn’s direct exchange program allows students at all levels and in almost all disciplines to study at partner universities of the University of Bonn in North America, Asia, Mexico and Europe, or to participate in summer language classes in Europe or Taiwan. This program is managed by the International Office.


Studies can be funded at domestic rates until graduation at any university in an EU Member State or in Switzerland. An education in other countries can be funded for one year if it is useful for a student’s domestic education, or if it is offered within the framework of cross-border cooperation between a German and a foreign university. If Bafög is paid for a student’s domestic education, the time of an education abroad shall not count for up to one year. In addition, surcharges for tuition will be given as subsidies for an education abroad. Application should be made at least six months before the scheduled study abroad. Additional information and contacts can be found at the Bonner Studentenwerk.

You can also find additional information on the websites of the DAAD and of the Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF).

Recognition of credits

If you are planning to study abroad, you should always find out in advance how your studies abroad can best be integrated into your studies at the University of Bonn.
The International Office of the University of Bonn, as well as the Erasmus Coordinators and the corresponding Erasmus coordinators of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities institutes can provide you with all the information you need to make your studies abroad as successful and smooth as possible.